Whether you have a little bundle of joy on the way, or you already have some toddlers still learning to crawl or even walk around your kitchen, you know how fantastic parenthood can be. But although the kitchen can be the place where everyone wants to meet up, it can also be a dangerous place to be, especially for your curious little ones. Here are some of our favorite tips for creating a childproof kitchen to keep you, your family, and your remodel safe.
Cabinets & Drawers
Keeping your cabinets and drawers secure is a major concern when you can’t always see what the kids are up to; maybe one of the reasons you decided on a remodeled kitchen was to cut down on their mischief. But what else can you attempt to do?
- Put auto-locks on the cabinets closest to the floor.
- Store cleaning supplies and any other potentially toxic or poisonous materials in a top cabinet or drawer out of reach.
- Ensure anything sharp, such as kitchen shears or foil cutting edges are kept in a high cabinet or drawer as well.
Appliances, light sources, and recessed outlets on countertops may all be conveniently placed for when you need them, but your children may be able to reach them as well. So to keep them safe, think about trying the following steps:
- Add socket blocks to every outlet.
- Start using the back burners on the stove more often so little hands can’t reach towards heat sources.
- Don’t leave the dishwasher sitting open when you’re not using it.
More Tips For Your Childproof Kitchen
There are plenty of other ways to make your remodeled kitchen even safer. If you’re looking for even more advice on what to do, consider trying these pointers:
- Put a lid on the trash can and lock it in place. This tip helps with curious pets, too!
- Keep a fire extinguisher in or near your kitchen.
- Discard your old cleaning supplies that are loaded with chemicals and switch to all-natural, non-toxic cleaners instead.
- Use baby gates to prevent your kids from coming in while you’re busy cooking. Just make sure you have someone else watching them while you’re working in the kitchen!
- Install knob covers so taller children can’t sneak into higher-up-cabinets, the pantry, or the kitchen closet while you’re not looking.
Get Everything You Need for Your Kitchen Remodeling Project from Kitchen and Bath Depot
Whether you need a beautiful bathroom remodel, a kitchen remodel, or a home remodel, the experts at Kitchen and Bath Depot are here to help with all of your design and building needs. We provide remodeling services for our valued customers throughout the Maryland and Washington, D.C. area. If you are ready for a quote and to see how we are different than other companies, contact us or give us a call at (301) 888-5324. For more tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.